By TXMMA Staff // Photos: UFC.com via Getty Images
First UFC appearance in Hidalgo, TX features Dustin Poirier vs. Michael Johnson, Derek Brunson vs. Uriah Hall in headlining bout; Chas Skelly featured on Undercard
HIDALGO, TX – The UFC touches down just north of the Mexico border this Saturday, Sept. 17th for UFC Fight Night Hidalgo (UFC Fight Night 94). The card is headlined by a lightweight bout pitting Dustin Poirer against Michael Johnson in a battle of lightweight contenders while middleweight Derek Brunson takes on former TUF finalist Uriah Hall in the co-main event.
While the headlining fights promise some fireworks, there is another Texas-sized reason to tune in to this card as well.
Texas native Chas Skelly faces former rising star out of Venezuela, Maximo Blanco, on the undercard. The bout will be one of the first of the night and will be aired on UFC Fight Pass. Chas will look to snap his losing streak at 1 after losing to Darren Elkins earlier this year. He won his previous 4 prior to that and will be looking to get right back in the win column at the expense of the import of out of the Japanese fight circuit. Skelly will stand 3 inches taller than Blanco, is naturally bigger, and will no doubt have the considerable wrestling advantage in this one. Though Maximo has been known to be a proficient striker, he’s also been known to have trouble when facing bigger fighters. Chas also has a durable chin so look for him to capitalize on all these advantages to hold serve in his home state and bring a win back to the DFW area.
Check out the rest of the fight card for UFC Fight Night: Poirier vs. Johnson below:
Main Card (Fox Sports 1)
- 155 lbs.: Dustin Poirier vs. Michael Johnson
- 185 lbs.: Uriah Hall vs. Derek Brunson
- 155 lbs.: Evan Dunham vs. Rick Glenn
- 170 lbs.: Roan Carneiro vs. Kenny Robertson
- 155 lbs.: Chris Wade vs. Islam Makhachev
- 145 lbs.: Chas Skelly vs. Maximo Blanco
Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)
- 145 lbs.: Gabriel Benítez vs. Sam Sicilia
- 170 lbs.: Augusto Montaño vs. Belal Muhammad
- 185 lbs.: Antônio Carlos Júnior vs. Leonardo Augusto Guimarães
- 135 lbs.: José Alberto Quiñonez vs. Joey Gomez
Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)
- 170 lbs.: Erick Montaño vs. Randy Brown
- 135 lbs.: Alejandro Pérez vs. Albert Morales