By TXMMA Staff
Connelly, Sanchez, Lira walk away with championship belts, Giron earns title shot after Cage Combat 23
HUMBLE, TX – Houston area fight fans were recently treated to another fun night of amateur MMA with Cage Combat 23 taking place at the Humble Civic Center this past Friday, March 11th. 3 titles were on the line that night with Ryan Connelly, Alonzo Sanchez and Christian Lira all walking away as champions after earning their belts.
Two out of the three ended things quickly with Connelly and Sanchez both scoring first round submissions via armbar and rear-naked-choke respectively. Lira had a bit of a harder time, going four rounds with Tony Nguyen before securing the finish via choke. In all three fights it was the grappling that made the difference for the new Garcia Promotions title holders.
Elsewhere on the card, Josh Altum and Kyle Vilarreal put on a fun fight that ended in an armbar in Josh’s favor in the third round. Other top fights saw Amber Schoech pulling out the submission victory over a game Whitney Rice and Karla Hernandez walking away with a split decision over Iztel Esquivel. Anthony Clark also scored big with a huge knee to the torso of Jared Clark before finishing him with punches to secure the TKO in their bout.
Check out full results and photo highlights below:
Cage Combat 23 – Quick Results for March 11, 2016
- Ryan Connelly def. Mikey Patterson by submission (armbar), RD1 (170 TITLE)
- Alonso Sanchez def. Gustavo Gomez by submission (RNC), RD1 (145 TITLE)
- Christian Lira def. Tony Nguyen by submission (RNC), RD4 (125 TITLE)
- Melvin Giron def. Dayron Vasquez by TKO, RD1
- Josh Altum def. Kyle Villarreal by submission (Armbar), RD3
- Sebastian Storm def. Logan Eckert by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Karla Hernandez def. Itzel Esquivel by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Amber Schoech def. Whitney Rice by submission (RNC), RD2
- Derrick Ageday def. Christopher Haire by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Anthony Cruz def. Jared Clark by TKO, RD2
- Chantz Gibson def. Christopher Miller by submission (armbar), RD1
- Mark Meyer def. Mason Wunderlich by TKO, RD1
- Nino Villarreal def. Michael Rodriguez by TKO, RD2
- Tim Cormier def. Marcellus Brown by submission (RNC), RD2
- Carlos Melara def. Ben Hericheta by submission (armbar), RD1
Cage Combat 23 – Photo Highlights