By TXMMA Staff
Enjoyable sub grappling invitational ushers in new 10th Planet Austin at Onnit Academy
AUSTIN, TX – The Onnit Invitational sub grappling tournament ushered in the new 10th Planet Austin Academy this past December 19th. Organized by Andrew Craig and 10PATX head coach Curtis Hembroff, the event featured an 8-man submission grappling tournament along with several superfights for the spirited crowd in attendance. The event was broadcast LIVE on FloGrappling and those present also included 10th Planet founder Eddie Bravo who also hosted a seminar earlier on in the day.
Winning the whole event was Austin’s own Jose Portillo fighting out of the Paragon ATX gym. The newly minted black belt defeated Team Rabadi’s Mike Reilly by submission in the first round before edging by Cicero Costha/RPBJJ’s Manuel Ribamar in the overtime period of their round 2 match. Finally he would face 10P ninja Richie Martinez in an exciting final – winning by heel hook late in regulation to cap off the tournament action.
The eight man division also featured some other amazing matches. Some of them, like Richie Martinez’s heel hook win over Derrick Garza, ended quickly while others such as Richie’s thrilling duel with Jose Llanas went into overtime.
As for the other matches, they didn’t disappoint either. Travis Tooke showed veteran savvy and a polished overall game in armbarring Travis Newaza while teens Cora Sek and Alex Terrier may have stole the entire show with their thrilling match toward the end of the day.
Check out complete results from the Onnit Invitational along with a pictorial highlight below.
The complete high-resolution gallery is also available for print and download order here.
Onnit Invitational – Quick Results from December 19, 2015
- Jose Llanas def. Tommy McCay by calf crush
- Richie Martinez def. Derrick Garza by heel hook
- Jose Portillo def. Mike Reilly by arm-triangle choke
- Manuel Ribamar def. Robert Rodriguez in overtime (RNC)
- Richie Martinez def. Jose Llanas in overtime (RNC)
- Jose Portillo def. Manuel Ribamar in overtime (RNC)
- Jose Portillo def. Richie Martinez via heel hook
- Travis Tooke def. Travis Newaza by armbar
- Cora Sek def. Alex Terrier by triangle-kimura
- Sean Applegate def. Ken Alfarao by Reverse heel hook
- Andrew Alexander def. Toby Imada by heel hook
- Dan Dau def. Nate Harris by north-south choke
- Travis Moore def. Jason Carr by triangle
Onnit Invitational – Photo Highlights from December 19, 2015