By TXMMA Staff
Exciting championship fights highlight Hero FC 6 in El Paso
EL PASO, TX – West Texas was home to the best of pro MMA in Texas last weekend with Hero FC presenting Best of the Best VI at the El Paso Coliseum. The card included 4 title fights with a main event pitting local El Paso favorite JR Sotelo taking on San Antonio’s Alex Hernandez in a lightweight title bout and a $50,000 promotional contract for Hero FC. That bout would go the hometown fighter’s way rather quickly as Sotelo put away Hernandez with a rear-naked choke in the first round after securing an early takedown. That win improves the 30 year old’s record to 8-6 while Hernandez drops to 5-2.
Next up, bantamweight champion DJ Fuentes out of McAllen defended his title with a second round TKO of Paco Castillo. There was definitely a disparity in record headed into the fight with DJ coming in at 11-9 and Castillo sitting at a less than stellar 8-21 overall but Castillo always comes to fight despite his shoddy record. That was evident in this one as the two battled it out in the first before DJ got the win in the second to defend his title for the third time.
Also in championship action, Hayward Charles of the DFW area got perhaps the biggest win of his career, submitting UFC vet Bubba McDaniel by anaconda choke in the second round. The latter was dominating the bout in the early stages with superior grappling and top control but it was Hayward’s resiliency and patience that won him the bout as he waited for just the right opening to capitalize and secure the victory. With former UFC champ Cain Velasquez in attendance, Hayward defended his title for the second time as he moves to 13-6 overall as a pro.
Last but not least in Hero FC championship action, San Antonio’s Dimitre Ivy and Lubbock’s Javier Minjarez engaged in a close back-and-forth five round war before Ivy was able to sneak in the choke and submit his opponent to win halfway through the fifth round. It was Ivy’s first title defense since winning the title against Houston’s Rey Trujillo back in June so he’s official now. Look for more out of him as he improves his record to 6-2 overall.
See complete results from Hero FC: Best of the Best VI below:
Hero FC: Best of the Best VI – Quick Results from September 26, 2015
- Alexander Hernandez def. Rodrigo Sotelo Jr. by submission (RNC), RD1 * 155 TITLE
- David Fuentes def. Paco Castillo by TKO, RD2 * 135 TITLE
- Hayward Charles def. Bubba McDaniel by submission (anaconda), RD2 * 185 TITLE
- Dimitre Ivy def. Javier Minjarez by submission (RNC), RD5 * 145 TITLE
- Leroy Martinez def. Adam Mcgurk by TKO, RD2
- Armando Rivas def. Kirk Hubble by TKO (injury, leg), RD2
- Randy McCarty def. Samuel Trevino by TKO, RD1
- Gleidson Moraes Cutis def. Danny Salinas by submission (choke), RD2
- Brian Castillo def. Joel Scott by unanimous decision
- Juan Deantes def. Angel Castillo by submission (RNC), RD3
- Bahaiz Wilson def. Hosay Batts by TKO, RD2