By TXMMA Staff
Tony Evinger and Jinh Yu Frey keep rolling with wins; Andrea Lee finishes opponent at the last second
KANSAS CITY, KS – It was a Texas-sized victory for several fighters this past weekend at Invicta FC 14. Taking place in Kansas City, Missouri, the event featured 2 fighters from the lone star state along with another from nearby Bossier City, LA who should be familiar to Texas fight fans.
Fighting in the main event of the evening, Houston’s Tonya Evinger defeated previously undefeated opponent Pannia Kianzad via second round TKO. The current Invicta bantamweight champion, Tonya was supposed to defend her belt but her opponent missed weight. “Triple Threat” would go fight her regardless and dominated the matchup to win her 8th straight bout. At 34 years of age, Tonya showed no signs of slowing down and seems to be steadily improving at this stage of her career. With only the UFC ahead of her, it remains to be seen whether she’ll be called to compete in the octagon but look for her to continue racking up wins in Invicta if not if she keeps going the way she has.
Also competing at Invicta FC 14 was DFW-based Jinh Yu Frey. As stated in her TXMMA prefight article, Jinh recently graduated from graduate school prior to this bout. With those goals behind her, the latest goal was to beat Liz McCarthy and she did just that by securing the unanimous decision. This win marks two in a row in Invicta and 4 out of 5 overall as a pro for the rising atomweight.
Last but not least on this list of relevant regional fighters was “KGB” Andrea Lee. A resident of nearby Bossier City in Louisiana, Andrea has competing several times in Texas and is certainly familiar to local fight fans. If she keeps fighting the way she has, the 26 year old out of Karate Mafia will be familiar to fans everywhere soon enough. She secured yet another highlight at Invicta FC 14 with her three round domination of Rachael Ostovich, a win that was punctuated by a last second armbar submission right as the final bell struck. Look for more from Andrea in the near future as well.
Complete results from Invicta FC 14 below:
Invicta FC 14 – Quick Results from September 12, 2015
- Tonya Evinger def. Pannie Kianzad by TKO (strikes), RD2
- DeAnna Bennett def. Katja Kankaanpaa by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Roxanne Modafferi def. Mariana Morais by TKO (elbow), RD3
- Andrea Lee def. Rachael Ostovich by submission (armbar), RD3
- Cindy Dandois def. Megan Anderson by submission (triangle choke), RD2
- Sharon Jacobson def. Jamie Moyle by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Jinh Yu Frey def. Liz McCarthy by unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- J. Aldrich def. Rosa Acevedo by TKO (strikes), RD1
- Aspen Ladd def. Amanda Bobby Cooper by submission (armbar), RD2
- Felicia Spencer def. Rachel Wiley by TKO (strikes), RD1