By TXMMA Staff // Photos by Esther Lin, Invicta FC
Tonya Evinger plays spoiler; defeats highly touted opponent to earn Invicta gold
HOUSTON, TX – A new Invicta bantamweight champion was crowned this past Thursday night as Houston’s Tonya Evinger defeated Irene Aldana for the belt in Las Vegas, NV. The two took part in the event headlined by Cris Cyborg as co-main event of the evening. Ever underestimated, Tonya was considered the underdog by many in this event as many including Dana White dubbed her opponent the future of the division.
Despite the push the other way, Tonya Evinger proved she was still the relevant one with an impressive performance that saw her control and dominate her opponent en route to the fourth round TKO victory. “Triple Threat” Evinger now moves to 16-5 overall with the win with 7 straight wins on her official record since September 2011.
Cyborg dominates with quick victory to retain 145 belt; best of the rest at Invicta FC 13
Elsewhere at Invicta FC 13 the story was Cris Cyborg returning to the cage albeit spending little time there as she dominated Faith Van Duin from the opening bell on, earning the finish at :45 of round one via TKO. The win marked her fourth straight for the organization and second straight in under a minute time. Following the bout, the featherweight champ was of course inundated with questions regarding a potential superfight with UFC bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey, questions she answered by saying that if Rousey wanted to meet her, she would move up to do it in her weight division as opposed to her having to move back down.
To conclude the title action at Invicta FC 13, it was Japan’s Ayaka Hamasaki taking the close split decision over Brazilian former champ Herica Tiburcio to take the atomweight belt back home.
Check out complete results from Invicta 13 below.
Invicta FC 13 – Quick Results from June 9, 2015.
- Cristiane Cyborg Justino def. Faith Van Duin via TKO (Strikes) at :45 of RD1 * 145 TITLE
- Tonya Evinger def. Irene Aldana via TKO (Strikes) at 4:38 of RD4 * 135 TITLE
- Ayaka Hamasaki def. Herica Tiburcio via Split Decision (48-47, 47-48, 49-46) * 115 TITLE
- Pannie Kianzad def. Jessica-Rose Clark via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Amber Brown def. Catherine Costigan via Submission (RNC) at 3:34 of RD1
- Jamie Moyle def. Amy Montenegro via Split Decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Amber Leibrock def. Marina Shafir via TKO (Punches) at 0:37 of aRD1
Questions, comments? Please leave a Reply.