By TXMMA Staff // Photo: Sam Guardiola
Sam Guardiola moved to 5-1 after victory in STFC 35 main event; Da Costa earns title shot at Luke Flores
MCALLEN, TX – STFC 35 took place last Friday, June 12th at the Mcallen Convention Center. Headlined by Pharr’s Sam Guardiola taking on Spanish import Andoni Sorando Rodriguez, the event featured six fights in total with only one going to the judges’ scorecards.
The main event proved to be a back and forth type of fight generally controlled by the South Texas native. Guardiola used shots from the clinch along with some timely takedowns to gain points on the judges’ scorecards and move up to 5-1 overall with the victory in a close one.
It would be more conclusive in the co-main event with featherweight Ricardo Palacios stopped Ricardo Diaz with body shots midway through the second round after an entertaining brawl on their feet. Palacios now moves up to 4-1 as a pro while Diaz drops to 3-2.
Elsewhere at STFC 35, Guilherme Farias Da Costa (3-0) stayed undefeated with a sub one minute TKO of John Nuncio to earn the next title shot at current 155 division champ Luke Flores while Julio Viramontes mounted and stopped Trinity’s Tim Lashley in round one. Roldan Abundis got DQ’d after axe kicking a downed Roman Hernandez while McAllen’s Gerardo Rodriguez scored the lone submission of the night with his rear naked choke over David Salazar.
Check out the complete results below.
STFC 35 Quick Results from June 12, 2015
- Sam Guardiola def. Andoni Sorando Rodriguez by Split Decision
- Ricardo Palacios def. Ricardo Diaz by KO, RD2 (3:14)
- Guilherme Farias Da Costa def. John Nuncio by TKO, RD1 (0:38)
- Julio Viramontes def. Tim Lashley by TKO/RSC, RD1 (2:15 )
- Roman Hernandez def. Roldan Abundis by Disqualification, RD1 (2:13)
- Gerardo Rodriguez def. David Salazar by Submission (RNC), RD1 (2:42)