By TXMMA Staff
What to watch out for in Garcia Promotions’ 20th amateur fight card
HUMBLE, TX – Cage Combat 20 goes down tonight at the Humble Civic Center in Northeast Houston. Featuring a packed card for Houston MMA fight fans, Cage Combat 20 (CC20) will feature 15 fights overall with many of the top gyms in the area participating.
Undefeated amateurs meet at the top of the card with Dark Side’s Morgan Oriahi taking on Ryan Connelly out of 4OZ Fight Club. Both fighters are 3-0. The 30 year old Oriahi has finished all three of his opponents thus far while Ryan, 20 years of age, has done the same, except all his have been put away in the first round. Obviously both these guys are explosive and it should be an exciting matchup in the main event.
Speaking of explosive, the light heavyweight matchup between Elite MMA’s Danny Bennett (2-0) and Jordan Zendejas (2-2) should be just that. Danny was last seen blowing out a hobbled AJ Hoffman in a minute’s time in their bout while Jordan has steadily improved, winning his last 2 bouts for SCC after starting his ammy career off as a heavyweight. He’ll need that improvement here as he takes on the athletic and skilled Bennett.
Elsewhere on the card, local favorite Dayron Vasquez (3-1) takes on the winless EJ Turner (0-4). Though the matchup may be a bit odd considering their records, Dayron’s skill set isn’t odd at all as he has impressed in his three wins. His only loss remains in his debut against a really good pro prospect in Sage Northcutt so that’s nothing to really get down over. Expect a win here for the 22 year old Dayron out of Streamline MMA but it’s MMA so anything could happen.
Other prospects to watch out for at Cage Combat 20 include the always intense Zach Henson taking on another guy to watch in Jake Heffernan out of the well-respected Gracie Barra North gym led by Alex Morono. Ever-polarizing former street fighter Clarence Brown also returns against Alonzo Sanchez while 4OZ “caveman” Craig Grove takes on Nick Ortiz.
See the full fight card for Garcia Promotions’ Cage Combat 20 below:
Cage Combat 20 – Updated Fight Card for June 5, 2015
- 170 lbs.: Ryan Connelly (4oz) vs. Morgan Oriahi (The Dark Side)
- 205 lbs.: Danny Bennett (Elite MMA) vs. Jordan Zendejas (SOL Combat)
- 155 lbs.: Dayron Vasquez vs. EJ Turner (SOL Combat)
- 135 lbs.: Zach Henson (Elite MMA) vs. Jake Heffernan (GB Woodlands)
- 135 lbs.: Jonathan Walker (Fusion Fight Co.) vs. Alex Tirado (GB Champions)
- 160 lbs.: D’Neareon Seymore vs. Stephen Pena (Legions MMA)
- 155 lbs.: Alonzo Sanchez (Iron Mantis BJJ) vs. Clarence Brown (Unknown)
- 170 lbs.: Craig Grove (4oz) vs. Nick Ortiz (Sol Combat)
- 170 lbs.: Santiago Guzman (Elite MMA) vs. Chantz Gibson (SLMMA)
- 170 lbs.: Josh Wilson (Kingwood MMA) vs. Derrick Ageday (Legions)
- 125 lbs.: Dominick Perez (Millennium) vs. Giovanni Arce (GB Champions)
- 135 lbs.: Jose Quintanilla (Paradigm) vs. Joe Lara (Northside MMA)
- 155 lbs.: Tim Cormier (Paradigm) vs. Michael Rodriguez (SLMMA)
- 145 lbs.: Phoung Biu (Elite MMA) vs. Aaron Valdes (Self Made MMA)
- 135 lbs.: Alex Macedo (Gold Team) vs. Jarik Yarborough (SOL Combat)