By TXMMA Staff // Images: UFC.com via Getty Images
“The Texecutioner” wins over fellow undefeated fighter in South Australia to stay unbeaten
May 11, 2015 – By all accounts it was hometown hero Jake Matthews that was supposed to be the prospect to watch at UFC Fight Night 65 (UFC Adelaide). Instead it was the TUF 15 alum out of Fort Worth, TX James Vick that made his presence felt down under. With his own undefeated streak on the line in the lightweight bout, “The Texecutioner” was able to force the tap via guillotine choke to secure the victory and win his fourth UFC fight in a row.
The 28 year old James Vick now stands at 8-0 overall with one of the longest win streaks in the UFC lightweight division. Vick now returns to Texas likely in the Top 20 of his division but also $50,000 richer after being awards a performance of the night bonus at UFC Adelaide.
UFC Fight Night 65 Highlights – Stipe Miocic, Robert Whittaker big winners
Elsewhere at UFC Fight Night 65, it was Chicago’s Stipe Miocic making thorough work of New Zealander Mark Hunt in the night’s main event that made the biggest headlines.
Looking to rebound from his last loss to Junior dos Santos, Miocic pummeled Hunt for the better part of five straight rounds en route to the victory in Adelaide. Mark absorbed a tremendous amount of damage in this one and his face showed it but the Kiwi never quit despite the fight close to being stopped multiple times. It finally happened in the fifth round with the referee stepping in to give Stipe the TKO victory that could have been awarded as early as round three.
Also winning big in South Australia was Sydney-based middleweight Robert Whittaker. Also a former TUF winner, Robert was able to knock out the usually durable Brad Tavares a mere 44 seconds into round one to win his third fight in a row.
Sean O’Connell got his own TKO over Anthony Perosh to join Whittaker, Miocic and Vick as UFC Fight Night 65’s main card winners.
See complete results for the entire event below:
UFC Fight Night 65 – Quick Results from May 9, 2015
UFC Fight Night 65 – Main Card Results (UFC Fight Pass)
- Stipe Miocic def. Mark Hunt via TKO (Strikes) at 2:47 of RD5
- Robert Whittaker def. Brad Tavares via Knockout (punches) at :44 of RD1
- Sean O’Connell def. Anthony Perosh via TKO (Punches) at :56 of RD1
- James Vick def. Jake Matthews via Submission (Guillotine) at 4:53 of RD1
UFC Fight Night 65 – Preliminary Card Results (UFC Fight Pass)
- Dan Hooker def. Hatsu Hioki via Knockout (Strikes) at 4:13 of RD2
- Kyle Noke def. Jonavin Webb via Split Decision (27-30, 29-28, 29-28)
- Sam Alvey def. Dan Kelly via TKO (Punches) at :49 of RD1
- Bec Rawlings def. Lisa Ellis via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) at 4:09 of RD1
- Bradley Scott def. Dylan Andrews via Submission (Guillotine) at 4:54 of RD2
- Alex Chambers def. Kailin Curran via Submission (Armbar) at 3:15 of RD3
- Brendan O’Reilly def. Vik Grujic via Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Ben Nguyen def. Alptekin Ozkilic via TKO (Punches) at 4:59 of RD1