By TXMMA Staff // Photos – Esther Lin, Invicta FC
Austin’s Latoya Waker wins Invicta FC debut over UFC veteran
AUSTIN, TX – This weekend served as a coming out party of sorts for Texas’ latest women’s MMA prospect, Latoya Walker.
Also known as “Black Mamba,” Layota has largely flown under the radar since turning pro in 2011. Since then she’s notched knockout wins over Jackie Enos and Anita Rodriguez but she’s done it quietly, fighting primarily in the Indian reservations of Oklahoma along with one fight for Seth Daniels’ Fight to Win (Denver).
Riding on the back of 4 wins in a row to start her pro career, The Cooper MMA (Austin, TX) trained Walker signed with the Invicta Fighting Championship and debuted this past weekend at Invicta FC 12. Getting her first taste at big-time exposure, Latoya would face Peggy “Daywalker” Morgan in her debut, a UFC veteran and former contender on TUF 18.
Fighting with A striker with plenty of boxing and Muay Thai experience, Latoya was able to stay composed in the fight. Despite Morgan posing a 6″ reach advantage, Walker was able to stay sharp and control the distance, rocking Morgan on several occasions on the way to the judges’ decision.
It remains to be seen what is next for but one thing is for sure and that is she’ll be aiming to be a force in Invicta’s 145-pound division.
Check out the rest of the quick results from Invicta FC 12 below:
Invicta Fighting Championship 12 – Quick results from April 24, 2015
- Livia Renata Souza def. Katja Kankaanpaa via Submission (Triangle Choke) at 3:58 of RD4 – New Strawweight Champion
- Vanessa Porto def. Roxanne Modafferi via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Faith Van Duin def. Amanda Bell via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) at 0:38 of RD2
- Raquel Pa’aluhi def. Ediane Gomes via Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Latoya Walker def. Peggy Morgan via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Lacey Schuckman def. Jenny Liou via TKO (Strikes) at 1:53 of RD1
- Sharon Jacobson def. Delaney Owen via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Shannon Sinn def. Maureen Riordon via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Sijara Eubanks def. Gina Begley via TKO (Punches) at 4:59 of RD1