By TXMMA Staff
Jonathan Martinez leads the way with split decision win over CJ Vergara; Chris Lopez comes back after layoff with stoppage victory
SAN ANTONIO, TX – Fury Fighting Championship expanded out of the Houston area for the first time with their first professional MMA event in San Antonio this past Saturday, January 24th. Held at Cowboys Dance Hall (also home to Premiere Combat Group), Fury Fighting Championship 3 featured 8 fights in total with several local favorites appearing on the card.
In the main event of the evening Plainview, TX native Jonathan Ramirez came into the Alamo City and upset rising local star CJ Vergara by split decision. The 20 year old West Texan has largely flown under the radar after debuting as a pro last February. He compiled an impressive 5 wins in a row (all by KO/TKO) to start his career in 2014. He continued that streak impressively with his sixth win, this time over the previously-undefeated Vergara, who also sustained a broken hand during the fight.
In the co-main event local favorite Chris Lopez made his return to competition after a year out due to injury with a win over Houston MMA veteran Rocky Long. With a 3-0 record going in, Chris had about 100 fights less experience than his opponent but he was able to stay composed and work away the cage rust en route to the second round TKO finish. He now maintains his undefeated record at 4-0.
Elsewhere on the card, Manaus, BR native Fabio Trindade scored his first US win against Austin, TX resident Warren Stewart by first round submission. Ernest De La Cruz Juan Torres also scored finishes over Paulo Alcozer and Miguel Guerra respectively while 4 other fighters picked up wins via decision.
See full results from Fury FC 3 below:
Fury Fighting Championship 3 – Quick Results from January 24, 2015
- Jonathan Martinez def. CJ Vegara by Split Decision
- Chris Lopez def. Rocky Long by TKO, RD2
- Fabio Trindade def. Warren Stewart by Submission (RNC), RD1
- Ernest De La Cruz def. Paulo Alcozer by Submission (RNC), RD1
- Colin Wright def. Jacob Gomez by Unanimous Decision
- Daniel Delgado def. Chris Kuntschik by Split Decision
- Kevin Morin def. Michael Brasher by Split Decision
- Edgar Juarez def. Gabriel Carillo by Unanimous Decision
- Juan Torres def. Miguel Guerra by TKO, RD2