By TXMMA Staff // Photo: Mike Calimbas
“Crowbar” Hobar set to take on younger sibling of UFC lightweight champion in Sergio Pettis
DALLAS, TX – This coming Saturday night at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, DFW resident Matt “Crowbar” Hobar (9-2) steps back into the UFC octagon. A former Legacy FC bantamweight champion, Hobar will be stepping in to face Sergio Pettis (11-1) on the undercard of UFC 181. It will be an attempt for a second straight win for the Octagon MMA trained fighter following his decision win over Aaron Phillips this past August.
The younger brother to UFC lightweight champion Anthony “Showtime” Pettis, 21 year old Sergio Pettis has also experienced his share of success since his UFC debut. He’s got 2 wins to 1 defeat in the octagon and most notably defeated another former Legacy FC champion in Will Campuzano during his Nov. 2013 UFC debut. A former flyweight, he’ll be giving up 4 inches in height and certainly some overall size in this fight against Hobar. Stylistically, this fight will be an interesting one as well given their relatively polar opposite skillset. Like his brother, Pettis is known as a dynamic striker but his wrestling remains to be seen. Meanwhile Hobar has been wrestling all his life and can no doubt submit when given the chance but we’ll see if he can match wits standing with the Wisconsin native.
The 2 will square off as part of the UFC 181 undercard set to air this Saturday, Dec. 6 on UFC Fight Pass.
UFC 181 will be headlined by another Texas-based fighter in UFC Welterweight Champion Johny Hendricks defending his belt vs. a familiar challenger in “Ruthless” Robbie Lawler LIVE on PPV.
UFC 181 – Main Card (PPV)
- 170 lbs.: Hendricks vs. Robbie Lawler * TITLE
- 155 lbs.: Anthony Pettis vs. Gilbert Melendez * TITLE
- 265 lbs.: Travis Browne vs. Brendan Schaub
- 265 lbs.: Todd Duffee vs. Anthony Hamilton
- 155 lbs.: Tony Ferguson vs. Abel Trujillo
UFC 181 Prelims (FOX Sports 1)
- 135 lbs.: Urijah Faber vs. Francisco Rivera
- 185 lbs.: Eddie Gordon vs. Josh Samman
- 205 lbs.: Corey Anderson vs. Justin Jones
- 135 lbs.: Raquel Pennington vs. Ashlee Evans-Smith
UFC 181 Prelims (Fight Pass)
- 135 lbs.: Sergio Pettis vs. Matt Hobar
- 145 lbs.: Clay Collard vs. Alex White