By TXMMA Staff // Photos by Charles Nguyen
The next best thing out of Texas: Damon Jackson beats Leonard Garcia to claim Legacy featherweight title
ALLEN, TX, July 19, 2014 – it was an emphatic win in front of a hometown crowd at Legacy FC 33 last night as Damon Jackson (9-0) won the org’s featherweight title. Taking on “Bad Boy” Leonard Garcia in the main event of the evening, Jackson started strong and never stopped, quickly taking the UFC vet down before securing an arm triangle choke on 92 seconds into the bout. With the victory “Leech” now joins “Korean Zombie” Chang Sung Jung and Mike Brown as being the only three ever to finish the durable fighter out of Jackson’s MMA.
Another DFW rep wasn’t so lucky in the co-main event of the evening as Marcus “The Wrecking Ball” Hicks made way for a rising young fighter in Kamarudeen Usman. A former collegiate wrestling champion, Usman had his way with the BJJ black belt, taking him down and scoring with ground and pound punches and elbows throughout the fight, forcing the TKO win at the end of the second round.
The action wasn’t limited to the headlining bouts at Legacy FC 33. Several fighter performed impressively on the undercard as well.
Victor Reyna scored perhaps the biggest win of his young career as he moved to 5-1 with a first round technical knockout over RCJ Machado’s Evan “Titan” Thompson. This was Reyna’s fifth stoppage in his six fight career so good things may be ahead for him.
Steven Peterson moved his record up to an impressive 11-4 with his dominating win over San Antonio’s Ray “The Judge” Rodriguez. Likewise, his Octagon MMA teammate Eli Tamez also did likewise in picking up yet another victory to stay undefeated at 8-0 with his decision over Kory Vialet.
Team Takedown’s Andrew Parker rounded out the main card with his quick rear-naked choke victory over Phalanx fighter Melvin Jordan at 2:31 in the first round.
Complete results and photos from Legacy FC 33 below.
Legacy Fighting Championship 33 – Quick Results
Legacy FC 33 Results – Main Card (AXS TV)
- Damon Jackson def. Leonard Garcia via submission (arm-triangle). RD1, 1:32 * TITLE
- Kamarudeen Usman def. Marcus Hicks via TKO (elbows). RD2, 5:00
- Victor Reyna def. Evan Thompson via TKO (punches). RD1, 1:21
- Steven Peterson def. Johnny Ray Rodriguez via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)
- Eli Tamez def. Kory Vialet via unanimous decision (30-27, x3)
- Andrew Parker def. Melvin Jordan via submission (rear naked choke). RD1, 2:31
Legacy FC 33 Results – Prelims
- Brad Mitchell def. Darius Yancy via split decision (30-27, 28-29, 29-28)
- George Pacurariu def. Kashiff Soloarin via submission (rear naked choke). RD2, 3:36
- Keeton Gorton def. Robert Ricks via submission (rear naked choke). RD2, 0:48
Legacy FC 33 – Event Photos