By TXMMA Staff // Dez Moore // Felix Rodriguez // Photo by UFC.com via Getty Images
Carlos Diego Ferreira leads the way for Texas fighters at UFC Fight Night 44; Cub Swanson wins in featherweight main event
SAN ANTONIO, TX, June 30, 2014 – The UFC made their latest visit to Texas this past weekend. Naturally, they filled the card with some of their best Texas based fighters not named Johnny Hendricks or Tim Kennedy. The UFC Fight Night 44 card in San Antonio featured four Texas fighters, Fort Worth’s Johnny Bedford, Houston’s Andrew Craig, Pharr’s Carlos Diego Ferreira, and Fort Hood’s Colton Smith.
Andrew Craig was part of one of the most exciting fights of the night, Carlos Diego Ferreira made a $50,000 impression on Zuffa brass at the expense of Colton Smith and Johnny Bedford’s night was cut short by an extremely controversial call that brought out the ire of Texas fight fans.
Here is a recap of how the local boys did and some quick results:
135 lbs.: Johnny Bedford (19-11-1) vs. Cody Gibson (12-4)
Months after his no-contest fight with Rani Yahya, Bedford finds himself dealing with another highly questionable ending to his fight. Right after a flurry of punches thrown by Bedford that had his opponent, Cody Gibson, desperate to counter, Bedford was caught with a right hand that knocked him to that canvas. Referee Kerry Hatley stepped right in to end the fight as Bedford was attempting to establish his guard.
After the fight, Bedford expressed his frustrations with how his fights were being handled.
“This is ridiculous man… I got robbed two months ago in my fight with Rani Yahya in Abu Dhabi,” Bedford said. “I have two kids to feed and this is how we feed our families. Something has to change fast.”
170 lbs.: Carlos Diego Ferreira (10-0) vs. Colton Smith (3-4)
38 seconds of what Texas MMA fans are all used to seeing, Carlos Diego Ferreira submitting another opponent. After an early clinch and a perfectly executed Judo throw, Ferriera landed some quick punches on Smith then immediately sunk in a modified rear naked choke. The quick finish landed Ferriera a $50,000 Performance of the Night bonus in his debut fight with the UFC.
For Smith, this marks his third straight loss since winning The Ultimate Fighter 16 finale. It is also his second loss to Ferreira, the first loss being a Jiu-Jitsu match at the American Grappling Federation’s Southern Regionals in 2013.
185 lbs.: Andrew Craig (9-3) vs. Cezar Ferreira (8-3)
The last Texas fighter to step into the cage, Andrew Craig, saw glimpses of victory in the final minute of his three round brawl with Cezar Ferreira, but came up short losing the fight by unanimous decision. After a big slam by Ferreira in the third, the gash on Craig’s forehead to started to gush out blood. Right as it seemed all over for the Texas-native, Craig gets to his feet and lands a big head-kick that sends Ferreira to the canvas. Craig jumped on the dazed Ferriera and landed some big shots, but it was to little too late as the third round and the fight came to an end.
This was another step for the Texas MMA community and their growth towards the national and worldwide levels of MMA. With additional Texas fighters such as Derrick Lewis, Matt Hobar, Ryan Benoit, Yves Edwards, Sean Spencer, Roger Narvaez, the list goes on. The future is looking bright and sunny for Texas MMA.
Here are the complete results for entire UFC Fight Night 44 card:
UFC Fight Night 44 – Main Card Results (FOX Sports 1)
- 145 lbs.: Cub Swanson over Jeremy Stephens by unanimous decision (49-46, 49-46, 48-47)
- 170 lbs.: Kelvin Gastelum over Nicholas Musoke by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- 185 lbs.: Cezar Ferreira over Andrew Craig by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- 145 lbs.: Ricardo Lamas over Hacran Dias by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- 185 lbs.: Clint Hester over Antonio Braga Neto by split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- 170 lbs.: Joe Ellenberger over James Moontasri, SD by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
UFC Fight Night 44 – Preliminary Card Results (FOX Sports 1 & Fight Pass)
- 155 lbs.: Carlos Diego Ferreira over Colton Smith by submission (RNC), RD1
- 135 lbs.: Cody Gibson over Johnny Bedford by TKO, RD1
- 265 lbs.: Marcelo Guimaraes over Andy Enz by split decision (27-30, 29-28, 29-28)
- 125 lbs.: Ray Borg over Shane Howell by submission (RNC), RD 1
- 265 lbs.: Oleksiy Oliynyk over Anthony Hamilton by submission (neck crank), RD1