By TXMMA Staff
Ralph Garcia wins in front of hometown crowd; Amateur fighters put on a show in Galveston
GALVESTON, TX, May 19, 2014 – With a sea of fans also claiming Galveston pride, hometown favorite Ralph Garcia fought his way back into the win column at Superior Combative Championships VII. Details aside, the 25 year old island native has had to overcome some big personal challenges during the past year.
All he wanted to do was get back to fighting and at SCC VII he was finally able to do just that as he faced David Kelly in the main event. The fight was between Ralph “Plexin Texan” Garcia and David “Machine Gun” Kelly turned out as many would have expected. Both guys fought with courage and exhibited a skillset above most at the amateur level. Known as a hard striker, Ralph took it to his opponent in that aspect as well as on the ground. To his credit, 18 year old David Kelly did not back down either. He proved he was worth every bit of his hype. It just so happens that May 16th was the Galvestonian’s night as Ralph walked away with the victory.
Elsewhere on the SCC 7 card there were two titles on the line. Edward Longoria got to keep his 145 lbs. belt after his fight with Jake Snyder ended in a majority draw. Ramiro Ruiz was able to win his own at 125 with a decision over Robert Walker.
The performance put on by Ruiz was particularly impressive. The 5’3″ Mexican gave up almost a foot in height to his 6′ opponent but charged ahead nonetheless. He was without a doubt the more aggressive harder hitter in the fight and that’s what earned him the belt. There were plenty of other top performers at SCC 7 as well. Check out the results below along with TXMMA event photos and the complete event video featuring every fight from the card.
SCC 7 – Quick Results from Galveston, TX
- Ralph Garcia def. David Kelly by unanimous decision
- Edward Longoria vs. Jake Snyder – majority draw * 145 lbs. title
- Ramiro Ruiz def. Robert Walker by unanimous decision * 125 lbs. title
- Frank Rodriguez def. Terrel Collins by TKO, RD2
- Johnathan Walker def. Mike Dunn by TKO, RD3
- Preston Anderson def. Shakeem Richardson by submission (armbar), RD3
- Daniel Turner def. Phong Doan by unanimous decision
- Nicholas Gay def. Tony Nguyen by TKO (Strikes) – RD1
- Luke Crawford def. Zachary Miller by TKO (Strikes) – RD1
- Tony Nguyen def. Jacob Norsworthy by unanimous decision
- Jeff Hoppas def. Maurice Horn by submission (armbar), RD1
SCC 7 – Event Photos by Mike Calimbas
Check out the complete SCC 7 photo gallery available for prints and downloads now on www.mikecalimbas.com. Here’s a slideshow of highlights:
SCC 7 – Complete Fight Night Video by Diego Reyes