By TXMMA Staff
Holly Holm wins with fifth round head kick KO at Legacy FC 30
April 7, 2013 – The Legacy Fighting Championship made its first trip to Albuquerque, N.M. this past weekend. The show would capitalize on the star power of UFC prospect Holly Holm as a packed crowd came to see her in the main event of the evening. Taking on Brazilian Juliana Werner, Holly competed for, and won, her first MMA title at Legacy FC 30.
All in all the Legacy Fighting Championship 30 main event was as expected. “The Preacher’s Daughter” dominated her opponent throughout the five round contest. With an obvious technical and athletic advantage she was able to pick Werner apart with combos until the finish. That would come in the fifth round as Holly found her opponent’s haw with a well-timed head kick. With the win Holm moves to an unblemished 7-0 overall with her first title in MMA and talks of big fights ahead despite a broken arm reportedly sustained in the first round of this bout.
Following the bout Holm continues to be talked about as a potentially intriguing opponent for UFC champion Ronda Rousey. And now she’s being mentioned as a possible PPV opponent for Invicta FC featherweight champion Cris “Cyborg” Justino as well.
“I think very highly of Cyborg,” Holm said following her win. “Look at how long she’s been at the top, and she never walks around with her nose in the air. It would be an honor to share the cage with her.”
“Legendary” Flavio Alvaro wins in co-main event; El Paso’s Martin Sano among undercard winners
Also in action at Legacy FC 30 was “legendary” Brazilian Flavio Alvaro. The vale tudo veteran competed in the co-main event opposite fellow vet Donald Sanchez. it was a close fight between the two with Flavio using his superior striking to win the earlier rounds en route to the decision going his way.
Next up was a dynamic matchup featuring Nick Urso and Ray Borg. The latter would score the submission finish in the second after taking the mounted position and reigning down elbows on his opponent. That would force him to turn his back and give up his neck for the rear-naked choke. Borg now moves to 6-0 overall while Urso drops to 7-2.
The rest of the main card featured wins by two other top prospects. El Paso native Martin Sano continues his impressive ascent up the pro ranks following a submission win over Clint Roberts to notch his fourth win in four tries while Blackzilian Kamaru Usman TKO’d Lenny Lovato in the third round to win his third straight. A draw between Enrique Briones and Adrian Cruz completes the AXS TV main card from the Route 66 Casino in Albuquerque.
Check out the complete Legacy FC 30 quick results below.
Legacy Fighting Championship 30 Quick Results (AXS TV Main Card)
Main Card (AXS TV)
- Holly Holm def. Juliana Werner by TKO (head kick and punches). RD5, 1:50 – wins inaugural LFC women’s bantamweight title
- Flavio Alvaro def. Donald Sanchez by unanimous decision (29-28 x3)
- Ray Borg def. Nick Urso by submission (rear-naked choke). RD2, 4:01
- Enrique Briones vs. Adrian Cruz declared a split draw (27-29, 28-27, 28-28)
- Martin Sano def. Clint Roberts by submission (rear-naked choke). RD2, 1:52
- Kamarudeen Usman def. Lenny Lovato by TKO (punches). RD3, 1:04
- Denton Comyford def. Stacy Cly by submission (armbar). RD1, 1:06
- Gene Perez def. Mikey Lovato by unanimous decision
- Hunter Tower def. Ricky Garcia by submission (rear-naked choke). RD1, 1:37 (a)
- Jesse Sandoval def. Terrence Shields by TKO (knees and punches). RD1, 2:24 (a)
- Mike Benefiel def. Jose Cueto by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27) (a)
- Jesse Tafoya def. Alonso Vargas by submission (armbar). RD 1, 2:30 (a)
* (a) amateur bout