By TXMMA Staff | Photos by Diego Reyes
Sage Northcutt wins title at Legacy Amateur Series 15; Mike De Leon wins split decision but fails to grab belt after missing weight
HOUSTON, TX – Houston has a new amateur lightweight champion. That was one of the most conclusive results from the Legacy Amateur Series 15 show held at the Arena Theatre on March 29th. Houston has a new amateur lightweight champion. That was one of the most conclusive results from the Legacy Amateur Series 15 show held at the Arena Theatre on March 29th. Aside from the title bout in the LAS 15 main event, the show also resulted in four split decisions that have drawn chatter on social media, as usual.
As for the main event, Sage Northcutt (4-1) had no such worries and there will be no controversy. He ended his fight with Luis Lara in definitive fashion, scoring the first round technical knockout to win his first MMA title. Aside from the title belt, this win should signify much more for the new champion given that Luis was his strongest opponent yet. Getting past Lara signifies that Sage is the real deal and should be one to watch in the years to come given his ever-improving skills.
The co-main event was also set to feature a title fight in the strawweight division (115 lbs.) between Jordan Carmona and Mike De Leon. Unfortunately that was not to be due to De Leon, a lifelong 125/135 fighter, could not make weight. It would have mattered for naught anyways for his opponent as Jordan Carmona lost a split decision here. Some fans on social media are already crying foul and saying the judges got this one wrong. Nonetheless it will go down as the first defeat in Carmona’s young career as he drops to 3-1 while Mike De Leon moves to 4-1 with the non-title victory in the close fight.
Elsewhere at Legacy Amateur Series 15 other fighters impressed. Gold Team’s Morgan Oriahi got submission of the night with his flying triangle finish of Don Dissanayaka while 4OZ Fighter Daniel DeAlejandro got KO of the Night honors with his KO of Sean Johnson. Quentin Kiper looked good in beating prospect Jake Heffernan as well.
Check out the rest of the Legacy Amateur Series 15 results below.
Legacy Amateur Series 15 – Quick Results for March 29, 2014
- Sage Northcutt over Luis Lara by TKO, RD1 <Lightweight Title>
- Mike De Leon over Jordan Carmona by Split Decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Will Morris over Nicholas Gay by Split Decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Elezar Escaremo over Angel Zamora by Unanimous Decision
- Quentin Kiper over Jake Heffernan by Submission (RNC), RD2
- Zach Henson over Eric Charalambous by Submission (kimura), RD1
- Steven Vera over Alex Chang Split Decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Kevin Martinez over Nico Daily by Submission (RNC), RD2
- Morgan Oriahi over Don Dissanayaka by Submission (flying triangle), RD3
- Daniel DeAlejandro over Sean Johnson by KO (punches), RD1
- Dayron Vasquez over Clarence Brown by Split Decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Matt Hernandez over Hunter Robichaux by Submission (RNC), RD2
Legacy Amateur Series 15 Photo Highlights
See the complete gallery of 1,000+ high-resolution photos available for print and download order now at: