By TXMMA Staff | Photos by Mike Calimbas (Texas Sports Photography)
Houston MMA Results: SCC 5 produces new champions at Pasadena Convention Center
Taking place at the Pasadena Convention Center, this event was the SCC’s first to be held outside of their native Galveston and featured twelve fights in total with the three title fights at the top of the card.
Although the fight was finish-heavy with only a third of the fights seeing the judges’ scorecards, the real excitement came in some of fights that went all the way – such as in the main event featuring Travis Moore and Chad Box completing their trilogy versus one another. Also at stake in their bout was the SCC welterweight title. Knowing each other well, the two employed familiar game plans in the main event with Moore looking to take his opponent down and find the submission while Box preferred to try and strike both on the feet and on the ground. Coming down to a split decision in another close fight, Moore was able to overcome his long layoff due to shoulder surgery and take home the title and 2-1 win in their series.
Also winning in title action was Bushi Ban’s Edward Longoria, who beat a game Isaac Cruzado by rear naked choke submission late in the first round of their fight. Longoria now moved to an impressive 4-2 overall as an amateur and is now the SCC bantamweight champion.
Last but not least in title action we move to the heavyweight division where Jeremy “Nightmare” Hardy reclaimed his SCC heavyweight title by virtue of a first round TKO of Jordan Zendejas in their heavyweight title fight. Getting the takedown early, Hardy proved to be too big, too strong, and too controlling of top position for this one to go too long. After the bout the new champion expressed wishes to go pro with Houston-based Legacy FC so expect to see him in the cage sometime in 2014.
There were other outstanding performances at SCC 5 but we’ll let you see them for yourselves when we come out with fight video later this weekend.
Likewise, the complete high-resolution photo gallery for SCC 5 is now available via Mike Calimbas Photography so check it out here and order some shots – http://www.mikecalimbas.com/MMA/SCC5
Here are the quick results and some more photo highlights below.
SCC V: Pasadena Salute to the Troops – Quick Results
- Travis Moore over Chad Box by split decision * 170 lbs. TITLE
- Edward Longoria over Isaac Cruzado by submission (RNC), RD1 * 135 lbs. TITLE
- Jeremy Hardy over Jordan Zendejas by TKO, RD1 * HWT TITLE
- Angel Zamora over Nico Daily by unanimous decision
- David Kelly over Johnny Gaona by submission (RNC), RD1
- Mario Mancillas over Brad Bell by TKO (doc stoppage), RD3
- Jose Solis over Jonathan Walker by TKO, RD2 (low blow unseen)
- Dominic Wiltz over Ion Sorici by unanimous decision
- Timothy Nations over Maurice Horn by submission (RNC), RD1
- Frank Rodriguez over Jaime Garcia by submission (RNC), RD2
- Dante Amy-Penney over Mariano McCune by submission (RNC), RD2
- Nick Ortiz over Miguel Ramirez by unanimous decision
Superior Combative Championships 5 – Event Photo Highlights